This article takes you through the steps and FAQ’s when migrating your Creately Classic diagrams in Confluence.
Why should you migrate your Classic Diagrams?
- To support the latest server versions and security updates of the Creately Classic plugin
- To ramp up performance and enhance user experience
- To stay up-to-date with future updates
How to initiate migration?
It only takes a few clicks;
- Log into your Confluence account
- Go to Manage Apps
- Click on 'Migrate Classic Diagrams' (under Creately for Confluence heading)
- Click on 'Confirm'
Q: Can I custom select which files I want migrated?
A: You can't select single or multiple files, once you 'confirm' migration, all your Classic diagram files will be migrated.
Q: Can I cancel migration after confirming?
A: You won't be able to cancel the migration process once you've confirmed.
Q: How long does the process take to complete?
A: Generally the migration process is fast, and more often than not it finishes in under 2 minutes (If you have ten diagrams or less). But, depending on the number of diagrams and the speed of your network, the duration of the process may vary.
Q: Can I continue with other work or do I have to stay on the same page till migration is completed?
A: You can continue working on other tabs and navigate within Confluence whilst the migration process is ongoing. But, be mindful to not edit any diagrams mid-migration.
Q: Can I migrate diagrams of which the SVG files have been deleted?
A: Without the relevant SVG files in place, the migration won't be successful.
Q: How can I know if the Migration was successful or not?
A: If the migration has successfully completed, Classic diagrams will be removed from Macro view. In case the migration has failed, the Classic diagrams will remain in Macro view.
Q: Can I open diagrams in Creately by clicking on the Diagram in my Confluence page?
A: Yes. Once you click on the selected diagram in your Confluence page, the diagram will open in a new Creately canvas tab where you can edit, view and share the diagram. But, only if you have permission to view/edit the diagram.
Q: Can I create a duplicate SVG file of a selected diagram and expect a copy of the diagram after the migration process?
A: By copy-pasting an SVG file you can't recreate a diagram. However, if you want a duplicate you can make a copy of it in Creately Classic with a very insignificant change. That way, you will be able to see a copy of it after the migration.
Possibilities of the Migration failing
Although the migration process is initiated in just one click, there are quite a few factors that come into play in order to see a successful completion.
Listed below are the main reasons your migration process might end up failing;
- Loss of connectivity - If your Confluence Server loses its connection with the internet the migration process will pause. Once you reconnect with the internet the process will automatically resume.
- Missing Thumbnail (SVG) File - If there are missing SVG files on your Confluence pages the process will fail. In the event of a missing Classic SVG file on a particular page, you have to open the cdml file in Creately Classic and save a change to regenerate the SVG and start the migration again.