This article takes you through the steps and FAQs when migrating your Creately Classic diagrams in Confluence.
Why should you migrate your Classic Diagrams?
- To support the latest server versions and security updates of the Creately Classic plugin
- To ramp up performance and enhance user experience
- To stay up-to-date with future updates
How to initiate migration?
It only takes a few clicks:
- Log into your Confluence account with an admin privileged account.
- Click on the Settings icon at the top right corner of the screen and select General Configurations from the dropdown.
- Select Migrate Classic Diagrams under Creately Diagrams for Confluence on the left sidebar.
- Click on Start Migration.
Migration of the Classic Diagrams
Can I custom select which files I want to migrate?
You can't select single or multiple files, once you 'confirm' migration, all your Classic diagram files will be migrated.
Can I cancel migration after confirming?
You won't be able to cancel the migration process once you've confirmed.
How long does the process take to complete?
Generally, the migration process is fast, and more often than not it finishes in under 10 minutes (If you have ten diagrams or less). But, depending on the number of diagrams and the speed of your network, the duration of the process may vary.
Can I continue with other work or do I have to stay on the same page till migration is completed?
You can continue working on other tabs and navigate within Confluence whilst the migration process is ongoing. But, be mindful to not edit any diagrams mid-migration.
Can I migrate diagrams of which the SVG files have been deleted?
Without the relevant SVG files in place, the migration won't be successful.
How can I know if the Migration was successful or not?
Users can track the migration's progress in real-time. When all of the classic diagrams have been migrated, a notification pops indicating that the conversion is completed. By clicking the Show Full Migration Report button, users can view a detailed migration report that indicates if the migration of the individual diagrams were successful, failed, or skipped. Diagrams that successfully migrate will be removed from the Macro view, while those that fail will remain.
Can I open diagrams in Creately by clicking on the Diagram in my Confluence page?
Yes. Once you click on the selected diagram in your Confluence page, the diagram will open in a new Creately canvas tab where you can edit, view and share the diagram. But, only if you have permission to view/edit the diagram.
Can I create a duplicate SVG file of a selected diagram and expect a copy of the diagram after the migration process?
By copy-pasting an SVG file, you cannot recreate a diagram. However, if you want a duplicate you can make a copy of it in Creately Classic with a very insignificant change. That way, you will be able to see a copy of it after the migration.
Possibilities of failing the Migration
Although the migration process is initiated in just one click, there are quite a few factors that come into play in order to see a successful completion.
Listed below are the main reasons your migration process might fail:
- Loss of connectivity - If your Confluence Server loses its connection with the internet the migration process will pause. Once you reconnect with the internet the process will automatically resume.
- Missing Thumbnail (SVG) File - If there are missing SVG files on your Confluence pages the process will fail. In the event of a missing Classic SVG file on a particular page, you have to open the cdml file in Creately Classic and save a change to regenerate the SVG and start the migration again.