Creately Desktop checks each time it is run for newer versions of the app online. It does this to ensure you always have the latest version with the latest features and fixes. Normally all you have to do is review and approve the update and then after the app restarts the newer version is installed.
Occasionally on some systems you might experience an error when auto updating from one version of Creately Desktop to another. This is normally made obvious by an error message similar to the following appearing:
You can check what the error is by opening the Adobe Air install log and scrolling to the bottom of the file. It's a text file so any good plain text editor should open it fine. The install log can be found in the following locations:
Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\[Your-User-Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\AIR\logs\Install.log
Windows 7 - C:\Users\[Your-User-Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\AIR\logs\Install.log
Mac OS -
- Open the Console application from the Applications/Utilities folder.
- Select System.log from the log list on the left.
- In the String Matching filter field, type "Adobe AIR".
- Select all, and then copy and paste into a text file.
Linux - ~/.appdata/Adobe/AIR/Logs
You'll probably see some lines similar to these:
[2013-07-27:12:15:41] Application Installer begin with version 184.108.40.2060 on Windows 7 x86
[2013-07-27:12:15:41] Commandline is: C:\Users\[YourName]\Desktop\CreatelyDesktop_1_7_1_12315.air
[2013-07-27:12:15:41] Installed runtime (220.127.116.110) located at c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR
[2013-07-27:12:15:41] Unpackaging file:///C:/Users/[YourName]/Desktop/CreatelyDesktop_1_7_1_12315.air to C:\Users\[YourName]\AppData\Local\Temp\flaB98F.tmp
[2013-07-27:12:16:41] Application signature verified
[2013-07-27:12:16:41] Unpackaging/validation complete
[2013-07-27:12:16:41] Installed app (TeamDrawDesktop) located at C:\program files (x86)\Creately Desktop\Creately Desktop.exe
[2013-07-27:12:17:08] Converting unpackaged application to a native installation package in C:\Users\[YourName]\AppData\Local\Temp\fla9F1.tmp
[2013-07-27:12:18:04] Native installation package creation failed: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception Error: EndUpdateResource: Windows Error #5" errorID=0]
[2013-07-27:12:18:39] Application Installer end with exit code 7
In order to get the latest version installed you should go through these steps:
- Exit Creately Desktop if it's running.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Air for your platform from Adobe and install it.
- Get the latest air install package for Creately Desktop from the Creately website. Download the most recent which is normally at the top of the page. Save it somewhere easily accessible on your computer.
- Uninstall Creately Desktop application from your computer using your platforms normal uninstall process. This won't delete your current preferences or diagrams. They should remain untouched.
- Restart the computer, this must be done.
- Once you're up and running again run you should run the Creately Desktop air package that you downloaded in step 3.
- The install should proceed without issues and you'll have the latest version of Creately Desktop installed. You can launch it and your diagrams will appear again.
Hopefully you won't have issues with future updates but if you do just go through these steps again.
If you have any questions please open a ticket.